Immigrant Heritage Month Week 2 (6.12.23)

 

“Immigrant Heritage Month is an opportunity for all people to explore their heritage and celebrate the shared diversity that forms the unique story of America. It’s also a chance to highlight the important role of immigration in the U.S. and recognize the many contributions immigrants have made to our country.”

We are a proud agency filled with diversity and want to highlight their efforts and journey!

Each week we will be featuring a different staff member from Prestige along with their #ImmigrantHeritage Story!

FEATURE OF THE WEEK




DR. SHERON TRAVERS

Q: What is your name and what City/Town and Country are you from?

A: My name is Sheron Travers and I am from Jamaica West Indies, I come from a lush, mountainous, and fruit-bearing town called Prattville 😊.

Q: What were some of your daily activities and hobbies when you were living in your home country?

A: When I was home, I was an avid reader, I loved dancing, singing, hiking, and exploring with my siblings.

In Highschool I was a track and field athlete, Badminton player, and played netball – the Jamaican version of basketball.

I also loved to help my mother tend to her farm.

Q: Do you have any family traditions or home routines that you used to/do in your home country?

A: We would go to church every Saturday and would have a huge family dinner on Sundays! We would play hide and seek and jacks as kids on Sundays before dinner.

Q:  What are some of your favorite foods from your home country?

A: My favorite foods are Curry Chicken, Oxtail, and Jamaican Beef Patty. I LOVE Mangoes (all kinds), tangerines, tamarind, and guineps! 

Q:  How old were you when you moved to the United States?

A: I moved here when I was 25 years old. 

Q: (If comfortable explaining) Briefly explain why you decided to move to the United States 😊

A: I relocated to explore new opportunities and expand my education and business ventures.

Q: What are some accomplishments you have achieved that you are proud of?

A: I have earned multiple degrees, run a successful business, and worked in multiple industries, as an educator, academic dean, medical staff, mentor, professor, human resources, operations, and much more!

My greatest accomplishment in my life has been raising my amazing children and watching them grow and develop into wonderful members of our society who are making an impact in others’ lives. 
I love my grandchildren and feel great joy at their accomplishments as they begin their journey of life. 

Q: President Biden declared June as National Immigrant Heritage Month, Why do you think it is important that we celebrate immigrants and their stories?

A: I think it is important to celebrate immigrants in our country because I believe they are the backbone of our nation. To be able to open doors and help others is a common goal across the world. Sharing stories helps give people an understanding of others and the benefits they can bring and add to our nation. Sharing stories helps strengthen tolerance and respect for others and aids in the transition of our country to greater heights!


Thank You!


Comments

Popular Posts